Salads can often be a big trap, and actually and result in poor weight loss. The reasons include:
- You feel hungry soon after eating
- They make you crave chocolate
- Hidden calories could be sneaking in via salad dressing full of oil or sugars
So lets discuss these further.
FEELING HUNGRY SOON AFTER.
- Your body needs sugar as its primary source of energy. If your sugar levels drop and you get the shakes this is a sign you need more fuel. Salads which have no protein or carbohydrate make your sugar levels drop, as your body needs more fuel, especially if you are exercising. The best balance in salads is to include protein and some carbohydrate, especially for lunch. Carbohydrate free meals at night are ideal for weight loss. Try and achieve this 4 times a week.
- Also try and keep to low GI carbohydrates at lunch as this will help maintain your hunger at bay in the afternoon and avoid the mid afternoon chocolate craving. Try and eat one serve of carbohydrate which is also low GI (Glyecmic Index). Some examples include, 1 slice grainy or sourdough bread, 1/2 cup cooked corn, 1/2 cup cooked sweet potato, 1/2 cooked cooked barley, doongara or basmati rice OR 1/2 cup cooked legumes, 250ml milk or 200gm yoghurt.
- Rich protein sources could include, meat, chicken, fish, seafood, tofu, eggs, milk, yoghurt and legumes.
- If your sugar levels drop for the reason mentioned in the above paragraph explaining why salads make you feel hungry, then it does become a habit of looking for chocolate as it is perceived to give you a quick fix. In fact it is quite the opposite. Chocolate because of the fat content has a low GI value. Also keep in mind that the gap between your second and third meal is usually quite long, so it is best to have ready a quality snack for you, such as a piece of fruit, latte or yoghurt with nuts as an example to get your started.
- Salad dressings can be very high in fat from the oil, yes even if it is coconut oil or olive oil. All oils are 100% fat. Aim for a sprinkle not a long pour, this will help avoid the hidden calories. At home you can control this element very easily. When out, please ask for the dressing on the side, you can then control the amount you want to consume.